New Lexus IS Reveal
The new Lexus IS will be revealed on Monday, April 25th at the Beijing Auto Show and with a teaser image leaked ahead of the reveal, Lexus enthusiasts around the world are all on the edge of their seats.
Since its inception, Lexus IS was designed for those in relentless pursuit of driving pleasure. After three generations, the Lexus IS has successfully captured the hearts of young customers all over the world. The upcoming new model will bring exciting breakthroughs based on the Lexus signature L-finesse design philosophy. The bold evolution of design with greatly enhanced visual impact will absolutely ignite people’s desire to put their hands on the steering wheel” –Lexus International
The Lexus IS was last redesigned for the 2014 model where it received the 2nd Generation L-finesse styling with the now signature spindle grille, new technology and lots of LFA- inspired features that took the F SPORT package to another level. Of course the IS was updated since the 2014 redesign- Lexus introduced the special edition Crafted Line in 2015 and overhauled the IS model line-up for 2016 by discontinuing the IS 250 and adding the IS 200t.
A new design for the IS is welcome, as Lexus has been hitting all the right notes with every redesign yet- however it does seem a little early for the IS to change too dramatically. It will be interesting to see what Lexus has in store for the popular IS and if the IS reveal on Monday will be as revolutionary as the recent LC flagship debut. Either way, we are excited and look forward to seeing the new Lexus IS reveal from the Beijing Auto Show this Monday!
In honor of the upcoming reveal, we put together a summary of updates for the IS models since 2011…
Updates from 2010 to the 2011 Lexus IS:
- Color Changes: Cerulean Blue replaced Breakwater Blue, Deep Sea Mica replaced Black Sapphire Pearl, UltraSonic Blue (the 1.0 version) was added for the F SPORT Package and Amber Pearl as well as Truffle Mica were discontinued.
- Exterior: New front grille, bumper and revised taillight cover (color change).
- “LEXUS” logo was removed
- The gray metallic trim from 2010 was replaced with a black metallic finish
- Silver trim was added above the glove box, to the steering wheel buttons and tachometer and speedometer
- The rear-view mirror received an integrated compass (for the models without navigation)
- LED Daytime Running Lights were added (this was a huge improvement for IS design!)
- The Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) and Pre-Collision System (PCS) were both discontinued….(interesting how both options are now part of the Safety System+ Packages on the new Lexus models)
- Lexus F SPOT Package was Introduced for both IS 250 and IS 350 RWD models
Updates for the 2012 Lexus IS:
- Color change: Fire Agate Pearl replaced Glacier Frost Mica and Nebula Gray Pearl replaces Smokey Granite Mica
- Illumination added to the garage door opener buttons under the rearview mirror
- Temp control switches changed to red/blue arrowhead design (red= increase in temp, blue= decrease in temp)
- The coin holder was removed
Updates for the 2013 Lexus IS:
- Navigation updated to the 11CY multimedia system
- Manual Transmission model discontinued
Changes for the 2014 Lexus IS:
- 2nd Generation L-finesse styling with spindle grille
- 2.7-inch wheelbase increase and 0.4-inch width increase
- L-shaped rear taillamps
- 8-speed sport direct-shift transmission added to the IS 350 (RWD)
- Intake sound generator added to the F SPORT and IS 350
- Drive Mode Select
- GS-inspired rear suspension
- Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) available on IS 350 F SPORT models
- Location Specific Tire Pressure Monitor System
- Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert was available
- Push-to-open fuel-filling door was introduced
- New Perforated NuLuxe interior
- 60/40-split-fold-down rear seats were first available
- Now had over 3 additional inches of rear knee room!
- LFA- inspired 3-spoke tilt and telescoping steering wheel with paddle shifters
- Electrostatic touch-based temp controls
- Lexus Display Audio with 7-inch high-resolution display and MID display linkage
- HD Radio with iTunes tagging, went to the single CD and added two USB ports, Bluetooth with audio streaming, subscription free HD Traffic and Weather and Gracenote music info, including album artwork was available- very exciting at the time!
- Color Changes: Silver Lining Metallic replaced Tungsten Pearl, Ultra White replaced UltraSonic Blue Mica, Atomic Silver was added and Fire Agate and Cerulean Blue were deleted as options.
Updates for the 2015 Lexus IS:
- Crafted Line Special Edition
- LED foglamps added
- Siri Eyes Free Mode
- Stratus Gray interior replaces Light Gray
- Ventilation is added to the F SPORT Package and Atomic Silver is now available in the F SPORT option
The 2016 Lexus IS is available now. Check out the new model choices: the IS 200t and IS 300 and updates on our website or by clicking here.
See you Monday at the Beijing Auto Show reveal!