What's the Difference: Lexus RX
The Lexus RX is now available in an ever-growing number of models, package levels, equipment options, and color choices. For anyone shopping for a new Lexus RX online or simply car spotting during their weekly trip to the grocery store, you may find yourself asking what’s the difference? Why does this RX look different from the one parked in my neighbor’s driveway? With the Lexus RX being the #1 luxury crossover SUV on the market today, there are quite a few both on the road and available for sale online (with one of the best selections listed on the LexusDominion.com website, if you’re curious.) That’s why for Part II of our new “What’s the Difference” series, and as requested by one of our readers, we put together several comprehensive infographics highlighting the different models, package levels and options for arguably the most popular Lexus model, the Lexus RX. Learn how to tell the difference and find your favorite feature on the 2019 Lexus RX here.
RX 350 vs. RX 450h
The Lexus RX 350 and RX 450h are now almost identical in appearance. Previous Generations made the task of distinguishing the difference between the gas and hybrid model remarkably easy – just look for Roof Rails since the gas model had them and the “typical” RX hybrid did not. Today, it is a little more difficult, especially when you get into the F-SPORT version of either model. Here’s what to look out for and where to look so you can determine if that RX is the RX 350 or RX 450h:
- Hybrid Badging (a little easier said than done since every RX now comes with Lexus Safety System+ and all new models have a “filled-in” Lexus emblem on the front – this used to be our go-to “tell” for the hybrid since it is a filled-in blue emblem). RX Hybrids will have the slightly darker blue front emblem, in addition, to a “Hybrid” badge next to the rear wheel well on the exterior (FYI: this may be going away for future models though).
- Power Button on Hybrid vs. Start Button on RX 350
- Gas Tank Button on RX Hybrid vs. No Gas Tank Button on RX 350
- Drive Mode Select with EV mode on RX Hybrid vs. No EV mode on RX 350
- Energy Monitor screen (hybrid only)
Lexus RX: Where to Look
The front of the RX and especially the grille and lights will help you to distinguish the difference in RX models and equipment levels.
Where to Look: RX Packages
Wondering how you can tell if the RX you’re looking at is the basic/starting package level or a more fully equipped version? Here’s how you can tell the difference, starting with the “starting” package level that is used in most/all online lease ads.
The Premium Package is the most common package option for the Lexus RX and is available with and without navigation and at times, with or without a few extra add-ons including Heads Up Display and a Panoramic Roof. Here’s where to look to determine if the RX has the Premium Package, Navigation, Panoramic View Monitor, Panoramic Roof and more.
Here is the Premium Package with Navigation. Remember, if you see the camera on the front of the grille, under the Lexus emblem then you will know that the RX you’re looking at has Panoramic View Monitor and Navigation, regardless of package level. In the following infographic, we’ve also included a go-to “tell” on where to look and find out if the RX is AWD.
The Luxury Package on both the RX 350 and RX 450h will be simple to spot if you have a chance to see the interior wood grain as every single Luxury Package RX will have the exclusive Gray Sapele Wood with Aluminum trim. This is unique and will only be on RX with Luxury Package, regardless of model.
Standard vs. F SPORT RX
The Lexus RX 350 and RX 450h is available in an F SPORT model/package and comes with exclusive F SPORT design elements as well as exclusive Performance Drive Modes and an Adaptive Variable Suspension that lets you customize the shock absorber setting for improved ride comfort or reduced body lean as you enter and exit turns. You will know you’re looking at the RX F SPORT if you see the following features and design elements:
- Bold F SPORT mesh grille and front spoiler
- F SPORT exterior styling and badging including a rear valence
- 20-inch split-10-spoke alloy wheels in Dark Graphite Finish
- Performance-inspired instrumentation (MID is digital and will move)
- Heated and Ventilated F SPORT front seats with enhanced bolsters
- Perforated leather-trimmed F SPORT steering wheel and shift knob
- Paddle Shifters
- All-Black Headliner
- Scored Aluminum Interior Trim
- Aluminum Sport Pedals and Door-Sill Scuff plates
- Cold-air intake with sound generator (RX 350)
- Sport-tuned Adaptive Variable Suspension with Sport S+ mode, and sport-tuned Electronic Power Steering
- Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management
- Exclusive Rioja Red Interior
The Lexus RX is available now at North Park Lexus at Dominion and we have almost every single model year, package level and color in-stock. Call 210-816-6000 to schedule a test drive or view our extensive RX inventory selection online here.
Have a request or questions on any other Lexus model? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.